Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tomato Jelly......strange or delicious?


      I decided it was time to try a strange gelatin.  I picked a tomato jelly to test this week.  When I told several work colleagues and family, everyone turned their noses up to it saying it didn’t sound appetizing.  I found many recipes for tomato jelly also known as tomato aspic.   Some even had crab or shrimp in it.  I decided to try a basic recipe made with tomato juice.

   This gelatin was very simple to prepare.

  It consists of simmering the tomato juice with spices, 

straining it, then put in the molds.  

Simple, my favorite type of recipe!!  I decided to put it in individual molds without the cabbage garnish.  The thing I found weird was the recipe says it serves 6 but my mixture only filled 4 individual molds. 

   I decided to take one to work and share with the ladies I lunch with.  I split it into fifths between us.  The first taster said it was too salty.  The next taster said it needed vodka so it could be like a Bloody Mary shot.  The third one (who was the most skeptical) loved it, no complaints!  The fourth one said she didn’t like it  but quickly ate every bit of it…..hmmm.  I personally think that it is good, I don’t know if I would make it very often.  But it could be a nice side dish alternative on a hot day.  I think I might try another recipe for tomato aspic that uses either real or canned tomatoes, because this version really tasted like tomato juice. 
    After we all tried it we decided this recipe could be good with the addition of shrimp.  Or it could be modernized with fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Tomato Jelly Ring gets 2 out of 4 stars. 

Tomato Jelly Ring
From Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook ©1941



2 c. Tomato Juice
1 small Bay Leaf
3 or 4 whole cloves
2 slices onion
Salt and Pepper
1 t. lemon juice
1 T. unflavored Gelatin (1 envelope)
¼ c. cold water
1 c. finely cut celery
2 c. shredded cabbage




Simmer tomato juice, bay leaf, cloves, and onion 15 minutes; strain; add seasonings and lemon juice.  Measure 1 ¾ c. liquid; add gelatin softened in cold water; stir until gelatin dissolves.  Chill until partially set; add celery and chill in oiled ring mold until firm.  Unmold; garnish with parsley and fill center with shredded cabbage, seasoned with salt, pepper, sugar, lemon juice, and mayonnaise.  Tomato jelly may be poured into individual molds and cabbage omitted.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment