Sunday, April 22, 2012

Apricot Disaster?



I decided for my first attempt at Jell-O to try one from the Taste of Home website.  I also decided to make this for a pot luck luncheon at my work.  When picking this recipe I decided to look at the ingredients list rather than the directions.  I thought orange Jell-O with 7-up sounded light, and then with the addition of apricots it would add interest and texture.  

As I was making it I looked at the directions, and in step 2 I saw that I needed to blend the apricots and the orange juice concentrate, so there goes the texture.  

Then when I added the 7-up as the last ingredient the mixture foamed up and I freaked out that my kitchen would soon be immersed in orange sticky goo. 

Fortunately that did not happen.  I mixed it all together, put it in a plain deep bowl and covered in plastic wrap.  I put it in the refrigerator while thinking good thoughts of the firm Jell-O that would await me in the morning.  When I woke, I was like a child at Christmas, I couldn’t wait to open the fridge and see the wonderful Jell-O that was waiting there.   I took out the bowl and shook it.  The Jell-O was not very firm and moved away from the sides of the bowl.  Since I was taking it to work I decided to unmold it on a disposable plastic plate.  I inverted it and didn’t hear the sound of the Jell-O unmolding.  I shook the bowl a little and finally heard a schlop (not a nice little plop, but a schlop).   I was very scared to lift the bowl and see what was there.  The mold had plopped down and spread out a bit and there was a little indent in the side of it.  I was very glad that I used a plain bowl rather than a decorative one, because I believe the Jell-O would have just spread out into a smooth surface. 

 I then wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap then foil.  I placed it on the floor of the passenger side of my car.  Every two minutes of my 30 minute commute to work I looked down at the Jell-O hoping I wouldn’t see orange goo seeping into my car.  I finally got to work without any seepage and placed it on the banquet table.  I quickly ran from the room hoping no one would blame me for the runny Jell-O. 
When it was my turn for lunch I checked out the Jell-O and a few people actually tried it.  I saw it on one coworker’s plate and told them I made it and asked how it was. I got a glowing review!  I then had several other coworkers try it and got more glowing reviews!!  I was even asked for the recipe by not 1 or 2 but 5 different people!!  Most of the staff thought it was very good and that it complemented our Italian feast nicely!  I of course told them that was my intention and I had planned it that way all along!  Although inside I was just glad that I wasn’t chased out of the building for the crazy apricot concoction!  I finally tried it myself and I thought the texture was a bit strange, not completely firm.  It was very tangy due to the orange juice concentrate.  But, for the most part it was very good and very refreshing!  

First attempt I will mark with 3 out of 4 stars! 

The following link is the recipe:

Now, what to try next……am I brave enough for Jell-O with meat in it?   You’ll have to check back soon to see the answer to that!!



2 comments:

  1. OK! This I HAVE TO TRY! I am a huge fan of apricots. Who knew you could make jello out of them!?! Your story and pictures are hilarious! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly! If you do try it, let me know if the consistency is weird for you too! But, it's very good, tangy, but good.

    ReplyDelete